Thursday, July 30, 2009

raw. day 2

Today marks day 2 of eating 100% raw foods for 1 whole week.  So far so good! For the most part, my normal diet consists of a considerable amount of raw or rawish foods, so this transition has not been difficult so far.  The only non-raw food that I am consuming during these 7 days is coffee.  I thought about giving it up as well during this week, but the truth is, I am insanely busy at work and the idea of trying to get through my busy schedule without coffee seemed frightening and slightly impossible.  So, I'm keeping coffee!  Other than that, it's raw all the way until next Wednesday, with the long term goal to incorporate a high raw diet going forward as much as I can.  

My energy level was high all day yesterday and I did not feel overly hungry.  Hopefully it maintains this easy.  I went to the Coop yesterday and bought fresh fruits and veggies for the week.  I checked out their raw foods section.  Unfortunately buying the packaged raw foods is quite expensive, plus I think I really want to concentrate on eating fresh fresh fresh!  I did buy a couple bottles of Kombucha, which is a raw and natural energy drink.  Some find the taste intolerable, but I have really come to enjoy it. Especially the guava and mango flavors. 

Here's what I ate for lunch today: 
avocados
apples
fresh squeezed lemon
cracked pepper
mmmm. so good.

Last night was girls night, and we went to see 'Food, inc.' which was quite fitting considering my raw diet this week.  Oh man, go see it.  But be prepared, it is not an easy film to watch.  I actually cried during several different parts of the documentary.  Talk about harsh reality.  I think I will have to pick up the 'Omnivore's Dilemma' for the 4th attempt, and hope to get through chapter 1 this time. 

Here are some inspirational raw blogs I have been checking out:

These were recommended by an old classmate of mine from Dhahran, Natasha Burge, who has this awesome blog http://www.thevoraciousvegan.blogspot.com/ that I have been following for a few months now.  

6 comments:

Girl on Raw said...

Hiya! I found your blog through Tash. Welcome to RAW. I hope you enjoy it. As for the energy you get from coffee, I find a green juice (or green smoothie) will give you a bigger kick. I started out with a green smoothie infact....a handful of spinach, 1 or 2 bananas and blende it with water to your desired thickness. Sounds weird but it actually tastes quite nice. On the mornings I don't have it, I really miss it. My favourite green juices are cabbage, brocolli, spinach, celery, cucumber and I add some apples to take away the bitter taste. You might like to add a few in the beginning til you get used to it. ENJOY!

:D

sarah said...

Wow. Thanks for the sweet words and the smoothie tip. I will certainly give that a try. Your blog is lovely. So you live in Dhahran as well?

Girl on Raw said...

Hey thanks for shout out! Good luck with the raw!!! :D

Girl on Raw said...

Hey I thought I responded already to me living in Dhahran hehe. Yes I live here too with the lovely Tasha. Been here about 18 months. It is different but I have a great albeit unusual life here hehe.

Growing up here would have been rad!

Lana said...

Michael Pollan has a new story about our relationship with cooking shows in which he apparently talks about the new anthropological theory that the real thing that may have made us humans who we are is not the discovery of fire, but the discovery that we can cook foods. The story goes something like—cooked food is faster to eat and easier to digest, and the better nutrition allowed us to eventually evolve larger brains (something like that, haven't read the article yet myself!). Wonder what the raw food world thinks of this.

Lana said...

Oops, forgot to add the link to the Pollan article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/magazine/02cooking-t.html?_r=1&scp=3&sq=michael%20pollan&st=cse