Saturday, October 23, 2010

h o m e

Let me set the scene for you... today is the first day of my last year in my twenties.  It is 845 am and I am writing this from bed.  You see, I have been given strict instructions not to leave the bed just yet.  So far Eli has delivered to my bedside a delicious cup of coffee and a strong and spicy bloody mary.  And I can hear him right now bustling around in the kitchen, I suspect there is more on the way.  Damn I am a lucky girl with a major babe life partner.  It feels so good to be HOME.

After eight days spent with friends and family, I am home.  The trip was amazing.  The Bear to Make a Difference event in Denver was a lovely evening where some 500 people gathered to support, donate, and be part of making this world a better place.  Celebrity teddy bears were auctioned off as part of a the silent auction, as well as many other goods and services. In case you are not familiar with this cause, this story, this foundation, please check it out here.  Every time I leave one of these events I feel inspired to DO MORE.  It's not enough to just talk about how passionate I am about equality and LGBT rights, I need to get my hands in this cause, and I fully intend to.


Zeina & Dom


Me & E


Logan and his girlfriend Marlo Goff, who also happens to be an old dear childhood friend of mine!  How amazing, right!?!  Loved seeing her, catching up, and being back in touch...




I remember attending one of Judy's speeches years ago where she said that her main goal, overall mission, was to not have this foundation anymore because it wasn't needed.  Because equality, tolerance, acceptance, and equal rights existed for all.  Sometimes I feel like we are really getting there, making serious progress, and then you hear about things like the recent bullying and individuals feeling like it's better to take their own lives then be who they are.  It's hard not to feel discouraged but we can't give up this fight.  It breaks my heart.  We need to do more.  I need to do more.


The Jane Lynch teddy bear was quite a hit...


Lt. Dan Choi autographed photograph



Have I mentioned how happy I was that Eli was able to join?!! He looked like a major babe and was being checked out by hot gay men all night... !! 



After Denver, I flew to Minneapolis for 5 days of hanging out with Lana, Scott, Omar and Jad.  It was a perfect week.  More pictures and details to come.

So, breakfast just arrived... hummus, pita, cucumbers, cheese, and a crunchie and flake bar! Woohoo.  Gotta get into this now... xo


sarah barkawi

No comments: